As the winter season wraps us in its chilly embrace, it's the perfect time to cozy up and prioritize the often neglected, but essential, aspect of our well-being - sleep. We'd like to share some strategies to help you get more restful sleep during the winter months - critical to surviving the crazy holiday season!
1. Stay Active During Daylight: Exposure to natural light during the day can regulate your circadian rhythm. Make an effort to get outside, even if only for a short walk around your neighborhood or to the beach! So important to soak up some daylight, even if it's cold, cloudy or rainy - grab your jacket and your favorite knit hat.
Just stretching your legs and breathing in fresh air can enhance your alertness during the day and improve your sleep quality at night. Not to mention improving your mood anytime!
For those of us in the Northern Climes, this tip is absolutely essential to soaking up some Vitamin D and instantly improving your mood.
2. Create a Cozy Sleep Sanctuary: Transform your bedroom into a haven of warmth and comfort. Pile on soft and pretty textured bedding pillows and Euro sized pillows in shams. Invest in a cozy, quality duvet or comforter that will wrap you in warmth. Then add extra blankets and throws in soft thick quilting or even lush velvet fabrics to make your bedroom feel even more luxurious.
P.S. Don't skimp on your sheets! Maybe consider adding pretty flannel options if your coastal climate calls for chilly weather in winter.
3. Embrace the Darkness: The longer nights of winter provide an excellent opportunity to create a sleep-conducive environment. Cozy lighting can do wonders for creating the right feel in your bedroom or living room!
Our best tip? Minimize the use of electronic devices (put your phone and electronic tablet away!) before bedtime to allow your body to naturally wind down.
4. Set a Consistent Sleep Schedule: While winter may tempt you to sleep in on weekends, maintaining a consistent sleep schedule helps regulate your body's internal clock. Aim for the same bedtime and wake-up time every day, even on weekends, to enhance the quality of your sleep.
5. Harness the Power of Warmth: Take advantage of the cold weather by enjoying a warm beverage before bedtime. Opt for a cup of caffeine-free herbal tea or a soothing mug of hot chocolate (my go to!) to help your body relax and prepare for a restful night's sleep.
6. Mindful Relaxation Techniques: Incorporate relaxation techniques into your evening routine. Whether it's deep breathing exercises, meditation, or gentle stretching, these activities can help calm your mind and signal to your body that it's time to unwind. It's the perfect time of year to grab that novel you've been meaning to finish and turn off Netflix for a bit!
If you are lucky enough to have a water view don't forget to simply turn your chairs to enjoy your spectacular scenery just out of your window! Tom and I are make a point of sitting in our bedroom swivel chairs every night before bedtime to simply admire the city lights of Seattle twinkling across the bay. Instantly makes the daily toil of work stress make sense and brings an instant calm. A great reminder that this is why we live by the sea!
Don't forget to upgrade your lamp lighting to incorporate the perfect warm glow...
7. Prioritize Self-Care: Winter often brings a slower pace, providing an excellent opportunity to focus on self-care. Whether it's a warm bath with candles, diving into a good book, or enjoying your favorite music, incorporating calming activities into your evening routine can positively impact your sleep.
Remember, adequate sleep is crucial for overall well-being, at all time of the year, but the crazy holiday season is even more important. These winter-specific tips can help you make the most of the season while ensuring you get the rest you deserve.
Wishing you cozy nights and rejuvenating sleep by the sea to survive a crazy holiday season!